Lighthouses of the Southern Oregon Coast
Umpqua River Lighthouse
Six miles south of Reedsport, near the Umpqua Lighthouse State Park
The original lighthouse, the first on the Oregon Coast, was built in 1857 but lasted only six years. The current one was completed in 1894 and was built on a 100-foot ridge overlooking the sand dunes and Pacific Ocean.
Cape Arago Lighthouse
View from Sunset Bay State Park (Charleston).
This lighthouse, built in 1888, can’t be seen up-close because the entrance is protected by a Coast Guard fence. There were two other lighthouses built earlier on Cape Arago in 1866 and in 1909.
Coquille River Lighthouse
Just north of Bandon at Bullards Beach State Park
After a number of construction delays, this lighthouse was finally lit in 1896, but by 1939 it was abandoned. In 1976 the US Army Corps and the Oregon State Parks renovated the lighthouse.
Cape Blanco Lighthouse
Four miles north of Port Orford between mile post 296 and 297
Sitting majestically on a 200-foot cliff, this lighthouse was completed in 1870. It’s often open for tours and is a good spot for family pictures. Westernmost point in Oregon.
Visit Brookings Harbor and look south.
”Cleft of the Rock” is a small and very unusual private lighthouse. Bill Cady built it as an addition to his home in 1990 and then moved his home to a 100-foot cliff above the Pacific Ocean. The federal government approved its use and it was lit in 1997.